I’m probably not alone in the fact that I don’t like to clean. But I do LOVE to find a new cleaner that’s really easy to use and actually works.
That’s this homemade shower cleaner!
It’s just 3 ingredients, shake, spray, and voila – an hour later my shower is magically super shiny and clean.
Here are just some of the things I’ve found this miracle homemade shower cleaner does:
- penetrates deep to knock out stubborn grease, dirt, and grime
- dissolves old, hard, caked-on soap scum
- gets my tub and shower truly clean thanks to it antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties of the essential oils
- removes hard water spots on faucets, knobs, and door handles
- helps treat and prevent mold & mildew
- leaves everything (tub, shower, tile, faucet, glass shower doors) super shiny and sparkling
- smells fresh & clean
- and it does all of this with pretty much no work on my part – I just spray it and leave it. It does all the work. I come back an hour or so later, and my shower has been magically cleaned by this amazing concoction! Usually, I don’t need to scrub or even wipe it down. I simply rinse with hot water and that’s it. I’m done! My glass shower doors are sparkling clear, and my shower has never been shinier. This stuff is a miracle in a bottle!
Supplies for DIY Shower Cleaner
This website contains affiliate links. This means that should you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission. The price is exactly the same for you as it would be without the affiliate link.
- Dawn Ultra dishwashing soap or a natural dish soap like this
- essential oil (I use combo of lavender, lemon, eucalyptus, and tea tree)
- 16 oz spray bottle — glass spray bottles like this or this work great, but you can also use certain types of plastic spray bottles that are safe for use with diluted essential oils. Look for plastic #1 PET or plastic #2 HDPE.
- funnel (like this)
Homemade Shower Cleaner Recipe (magically cuts through soap scum on tubs, tile, and showers)
step 1: add 1/2 cup Dawn Ultra or other dishwashing soap to 16 oz spray bottle
step 2: add 1.5 cups vinegar
tip: don’t fill the bottle completely full. You’ll want to leave a little space for the essential oils and the sprayer. If you fill the bottle too full, then it will overflow when you put the sprayer on.
step 3: add 25-30 drops essential oil
These essential oils not only smell great, they also help disinfect surfaces and help kill mold.
Here’s what I use:
- 7 drops lavender essential oil
- 7 drops lemon essential oil
- 7 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 7 drops tea tree essential oil
step 4: put the spray top on and gently mix to mix well
How to Use
- shake bottle to mix ingredients
- spray on shower, tub, tile, faucet, and glass shower doors
- let it sit for at least 30 minutes (and as long as overnight, if needed)
- scrub, if needed
- rinse with hot water
- be amazed to how this magical shower cleaner was so easy and worked so well! All the soap scum, hard water spots, dirt and grime will be gone. You’ll have a shiny shower, sparkling faucet, and gleaming tub that smell clean & fresh.
note: Do not use on granite or marble. The acid in the vinegar could eat away at the surface and cause pitting.
caution: like all soap, this cleaner can make your tub/shower floor a little slippery until it’s rinsed off.
Why This Homemade Shower Cleaner Works So Incredibly Well
It works so well because of this powerful deep-cleaning trio.
vinegar: Vinegar is a great natural cleaner for the bathroom! It fights mold and mildew. It eliminates odors. It’s so acidic it dissolves soap scum, removes hard water spots, cut through dirt and grease. And it’s a great rinse agent, so it leaves you with a super shiny shower.
Dawn Ultra: This is the main powerhouse ingredient in this trio. Dawn Ultra dissolves grease, dirt, and soap scum like nobody’s business. It’s the workhorse that brings everything together. And it makes the cleaner thicker so that it clings to shower doors and walls.
essential oils (mix of lavender, lemon, eucalyptus, and tea tree): This combination of essential oils is antifungal, so it treats and helps prevent mold & mildew. It’s also antibacterial, antiviral, deodorizing, and purifying. And it has a great fresh, clean scent!
here are a few other essential oil posts that I think you’ll like:
Please join us…
Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.