The winter blues is very common during the colder, darker days of winter.
Since we tend to stay inside more, we may not be getting as much fresh air and sunshine as we do during the rest of the year.
As a result, many of us may feel more tired, sad, or irritated from time to time during the winter months.
This homemade body spray is made with uplifting essential oils.
There are 5 recipes so that you can customize the scent to your preference. All 5 body spray recipes promote feelings of happiness, peace, and calm. Choose the blend that suits you best. Whether that’s the fruity sweet scent of bergamot & orange, the woodsy fresh scent of spruce & sandalwood, or the warm floral scent of lemon, lavender & frankincense.
Help lift your spirits with this easy-to-make winter blues body spray.
What’s in these uplifting essential oil body sprays?
190 proof grain alcohol (such as Everclear)
The alcohol serves two purposes in this body spray: 1. It kills bacteria, which helps the body spray last longer, and 2. it’s a solvent that effectively blends essential oil with water. It’s the alcohol that dilutes the essential oil in this body spray to skin-safe levels.
Here’s how it works:
- Fat-soluble things like essential oils don’t like to mix with water-soluble things like water. It’s like the old saying, “oil and water don’t mix.”
- The 190 proof grain alcohol (Everclear) acts as a solvent to help the essential oils blend well with the water. That is, the alcohol dissolves the essential oils into the water so that the essential oils can be blended and diluted without separating.
- In order for this to work best, you need to use a minimum of 25% alcohol to 75% water. That 1:3 ratio of alcohol to water is what is used in this body spray.
- That 1:3 (or higher) ratio of alcohol to water allows the alcohol, essential oils, and water to all become one blended substance. When properly blended like this, the essential oils and water will no longer separate. They are no longer the separate distinct entities of essential oil and water. They are now one cohesive blend of water and essential oils that cannot be separated back into their original parts.
I share 5 different uplifting essential oil blends in the recipe below. All of them promote feelings of happiness, peace, and calm.
Choose the blend that suits you best.
Whether that’s the fruity sweet scent of bergamot & orange, the woodsy fresh scent of spruce & sandalwood, or the warm floral scent of lemon, lavender & frankincense.
Using distilled water, or alternatively, boiled and cooled filtered water prolongs the shelf life of these body sprays.
The water dilutes the essential oils and gives the perfumes a lighter, everyday scent.
How to make winter blues body spray to uplift your spirit
step 1: add 2 tablespoons of 190 proof grain alcohol (like Everclear) to a 4 ounce spray bottle
tip: The 190 proof grain alcohol is the best choice to dilute the essential oils. Since this body spray will be used topically and there isn’t a carrier oil, it’s important to use this high-proof alcohol to dilute the essential oils. A lower proof alcohol (like vodka) or other choice (like witch hazel or Epsom salt), that I might use to help with diluting in room sprays, aren’t as good at diluting essential oils as the 190 proof alcohol. So for this body spray, be sure to use the 190 proof grain alcohol.
tip: If you don’t want to use Everclear, you may successfully substitute with perfumer’s alcohol or 91% isopropyl alcohol.
tip: Choose a spray bottle that’s made from materials safe to use with diluted essential oils. Glass, stainless steel, and certain types of plastic (plastic #1 HDPE or plastic #2 PET) work well.
tip: Using a funnel makes it really easy to add ingredients to a spray bottle.
step 2: add 25-30 drops essential oils
Here are some of my favorite uplifting essential oil blends that work great in this winter blues body spray. They not only smell great, they also work with your body to raise spirits and uplift mood.
option 1: 7 drops frankincense + 7 drops lemon + 4 drops lavender + 4 drops bergamot + 4 drops cedarwood
option 2: 15 drops grapefruit + 10 drops sandalwood + 5 drops frankincense
option 3: 10 drops bergamot + 10 drops sweet orange (aka wild orange) + 7 drops peppermint
option 4: 7 drops spruce + 12 drops sweet orange (aka wild orange) + 5 drops sandalwood + 2 drops cinnamon
option 5: 8 drops sweet orange (aka wild orange) + 6 drops frankincense + 6 drops cedarwood + 2 drops ginger
step 3: fill with distilled water
tip: Leave a little room at the top. That way body spray won’t overflow when you add the spray top.
step 4: put on the spray top and shake well to combine
step 5: add a label (click here for a free printable label)
tip: You can print this label on full-sheet label paper, or do what I do and print the label on regular printer paper and attach it to the spray bottle with packing tape. It’s cheap and easy to do. Plus, I find that the labels stay on better using packing tape than with regular label paper, and the packing tape protects the label really well, which keeps the labels looking great for a long time.
tip: To help the label stick really well, first wipe the tube clean with a little rubbing alcohol. Allow to dry and then apply the label.
How to use
- just any case there’s been any separation, shake well before each use
- spritz either directly on skin or spray into air then walk through body spray mist (safety note: if using one of the recipes with bergamot, lemon, or grapefruit essential oils, do not apply to any skin that may be exposed to sun. These essential oils can increase photosensitivity and you could get a sunburn, rash, or another reaction. If using one of those blends and will be out in the sun, apply body spray to your stomach, chest, legs, or other areas that won’t be exposed to sun.)
- reapply as desired
Please join us…
Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
Disclaimer: Please know that this website contains affiliate links. This means that should you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission. The price is exactly the same for you as it would be without the affiliate link.