I love my home and my family. But with a teenager, a dog, and a husband in the house it doesn’t always smell great.
I’ve tried commercial deodorizers to cover up the occasional stink, tried scented garbage bags to cover up the smell in the kitchen, but it just made the house smell like chemicals.
Once again, essential oils came to the rescue.
Taking a pack of self-stick adhesive felt pads, and adding a few drops of essential oils to them, I now have all-natural, non-toxic, essential oil deodorizers I can use all over the house!
In minutes I can make an assortment of deodorizers to place all over the house: shoe bins, trash cans, closets, drawers, anywhere a foul smell can happen.
How to use felt pads and essential oils to freshen and combat odors
step 1: gather supplies
- self-stick adhesive felt pads like these
- essential oils — You can just use one essential oil or a blend of several essential oils. Some suggested recipes are given in the next step.
step 2: add 3-5 drops of essential oil to each felt pad
Here are some essential oils and blends you might want to try. Feel free to customize with your favorite oils and blends.
- 4 drops lemon essential oil
- 3 drops eucalyptus essential oil + 2 drops spearmint essential oil
- 2 drops bergamot essential oil + 2 drops sweet orange essential oil + 1 drop lemon essential oil
- 1 drop tea tree (melaleuca) + 1 drop lemon + 1 drop lime
- 1 drop lemongrass + 1 drop lavender + 1 drop eucalyptus
- 3 drops sweet orange essential oil + 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops lemon essential oil + 2 drops cypress essential oil
- 3 drops sweet orange + 1 drop rosemary + 1 drop clove
- 3 drops lemon essential oil + 1 drop clove essential oil
- 1 drop tea tree (melaleuca) + 1 drop lemon + 1 drop orange
- 1 drop lime + 1 drop sweet orange + 1 drop lemon + 2 drops spearmint
- 1 drop lavender + 1 drop lemon + 1 drop rosemary
- 1 drop lavender + 1 drop cypress + 1 drop tea tree
- 1 drop eucalyptus + 1 drop frankincense + 1 drop lemon
- 3 drops grapefruit + 1 drop frankincense + 1 drop peppermint
- 3 drops tangerine + 1 drop lemon + 1 drop tea tree (melaleuca)
- 1 drop lemon + 1 drop peppermint + 1 drop eucalyptus
- 2 drops frankincense + 2 drops cypress + 1 drop ylang ylang
- 1 drop spearmint + 1 drop sweet orange + 1 drop lavender
step 3: remove the paper and stick the felt pads anywhere that needs deodorizing and freshening
tip: Here are just some of the places you might want to try:
- trash cans
- kitchen drawers
- clothes drawers
- shoe bins
- recycling bins
- totes with seasonal holiday decorations
- laundry hamper
tip: The essential oil scent should last at least a few days or longer. When you need to renew the scent, simply add a few more drops of essential oil to the felt pad. If the felt pad is on a vertical surface, place a kleenex below the felt pad to catch any essential oil drips. If you do have any drips on the tissue, you can put the tissue in a drawer or bin to scent and deodorize the space. “Waste not, want not” as my grandma used to say.
where to get supplies
Please join us…
Please note: Products mentioned in this article have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information on this page are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This website is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your medical doctor regarding your medical care. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
Disclaimer: Please know that this website contains affiliate links. This means that should you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission. The price is exactly the same for you as it would be without the affiliate link.